i took most of these within the mile of my my house....down the road and in the yard.
fall in kansas is so pretty. the temperture is just right....except if you have to sit in the rain at a soccer game when it's 40 degrees.... and you start to cry a little bit.... not that i would know about that.
ha ha ha
i like adding the extra blanket on the bed....wearing more layers...crisp nights.
my favorite time of year in kansas is the fall.
do you like Fall where you live? does it look like this?
well...i got up today with a plan in my head. i would go running, take a nice hot relaxing bath at the craft house and then make Vlog answering some of your questions. i did go for my run but then the school called and said Scott was throwing up. so...i am stuck at home still in my stinky running clothes and i will be writing and not vlogging today.
you guys ask great questions.
1. Did you ever convert the attic in the craft house?
nope. we just never had the energy and the money at the same time. :) who knows what will happen though....we may still do it. i have dreams for it. Maybe a store? Maybe more work space? Maybe more bunk space? Maybe a little apartment? My running buddies suggested making it a full gym so we could workout together all year long. and i am LOVING that idea.
2. Are you on Pinterest?
ummm....i am. but it's the only place online that i am private....i have a fake name. i just like having all the ideas i like in one place but not sharing what i love with everyone. that may seem weird but... it's what i am doing and i like it that way.
3. which is your favorite camera and lens?
i have a canon 50D and the 24-70 f/2.8 Canon lens. and that is all. i own one lens. :) it works for my needs...i dream of the 70 - 200 and the 35mm....and a 5D camera body. but for now and the past two years....just that. nothing else. so that is what is in my camera bag. and by camera bag i mean my purse. HA!
4. How do you edit your photos?
i upload my photos into LightRoom and i use their settings to edit. i usually bump up the exposure...the vibrance....the fill light....sharpen and that's it.
5. what settings do you use on your camera?
i almost always shoot in AV mode. i shoot at an ISO of 200 and at 2.8 or 3.5. does that help? someome asked about my settings for indoor shots in the evening...well i just try not to shoot indoors in the evening. because i think those pictures are always bad. So i have no settings to share for that.
i love wendy&tyler from blue lily and they have helped me immensely with understanding my camera. they have workshops where YOU can learn about your camera too. you should go. and Ashley from Under the Sycamore has an AWESOME online class that you can learn about photography...her next course is coming up soon.
i have never felt great at explaining cameras or putting it into words but both of those blogs do it well!
6. Will you come to Washington?
yes. :) i would love to do that sometime....
also i was worried it was going to be raining for my run this morning and your quote went through my head Leann "once you're wet, you're wet" and had decided i was going anyway. thankfully... it stopped before i ran.
7. where are the glasses from in the post with the happy things to look at? And the afgans?
i found that pic of the glasses on pinterest....and it linked to martha stewart...who else? but the link was not for the pic...but i think it probably came from her site.
and the afgans linked to flikr....just plain old flikr.
that is the downside of pinterest...messed up links and not getting a real source.
8. does having a GOOD dlsr camera make that much difference?
well... i think i wouldn't want to go without my dslr. But getting a dlsr won't make you take good pictures. there is a lot more that goes into getting good photos than the camera. instagram is great example of that. it's figuring out the lighting, composition and your angle. and that is where having a nice dslr camera comes in...and makes the shot clear and crisp. where a point and shoot may have a grainier shot? possibly. if you just want snapshots to keep your memories then a point and shoot is fine. if you have an interest in photography...any desire to learn more....i think you need a dslr.
9. Can i get a top ten book list of your favorite books?
this is a funny question mommyjulia. because i don't know that i have read ten books in the last ten years! but i will share again what i have read the past few months...
i read 7 and then Interrupted....loved. Now i am reading "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" and this book is making me think in ways i never have!!! it's challenging me. it's making me do hard things. it's so good.
i love the book Crazy Love. i loved Calm My Anxious Heart....good for a mom. Long Way Gone was a book to prepare for africa and it was so good.
i don't read very much....i get so distracted and i don't make time for it.
i definitely don't read fiction. IF i am reading a book it's going to be about something that i want to learn about...change in myself...get a new direction. and thankfully i got glasses so at least i don't fall asleep as soon as i start reading.
10. can i have your pattern for the apron? can you tell me how make all the stuff you make at craft weekend? can you do tutorials on all those things that the craft weekenders paid for? (i am paraphrasing here)
nope...sorry. :) that would not be fair to all those Craft Weekend girls at all. but i will be selling these things in my shop someday. and i can't wait for you girls to get your hands on them... everything takes time. i have five kids and i am running a business so things take a long time to get done. i wish i could snap my fingers and have my shop filled and everything done...but i just cant.
i am grateful you are patient.
11. tell us about Lauren....you never do...she is ignored....why don't you talk about her...WHY?!? (again...paraphrasing)
lauren is 17...almost 18. She requested quite a few years ago for me to not blog about her. so i don't. i love her. she is crazy smart. she works on the weekends. she is an awesome volleyball player. she wants to be a doctor.
maybe someday i will be able to talk more about what it's been like raising our first teenager but for now she doesn't want me to talk about her here.
and that is that.
12. Kirsten J asked all these at once: do you make lists? yes...very messy lists Do you ever ask for help? yes. a lot. YOU HAVE TO or you will drown. Do you ever future trip? i don't what that is...dreaming about the future? not much i guess. Will Lauren go away to college? yes she will. we don't where yet but she will. Did you ever have a penpal? YES! i used to write letters constantly. when craig got home from one year of college he had TONS of letters from me. i had two from him. ha ha haaa. also my sister got letters from me constantly. My grandpa and i wrote too. i always signed my letters to him Love, Megan the GREAT!! i would tell him my grades and about my boyfriends and my dance recitals and he would send me money for good grades and call me out on my bad ones. my 101 year great aunt and i wrote for my entire marriage until she passed away this year. i love writing letters. Do you ever just veg out in front of the tv? Reality tv? Or talk shows? NCIS? i do occasionally veg with tv... Parenthood of course, Office, Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy and Saturday Night Live. NO reality tv. i can't take it. NO singing shows...or dancing shows...or dating shows. it makes me want to poke my eyes out. i did like Amazing Race and Survivor...in the beginning...but not anymore. AND i miss Oprah...really really miss her show. What blogs do you read regularly? Julie, Ashley,Kimberlee,Shauna,Jess,Megan,Leslie,amy,shannon,sarah,lisa andmichellejust to name a few....i have over 50 more in my reader. :)
i wish there were some pictures to go along with this post. how about some george?
yes...i did just take 15 minutes and made a george collage in picmonkey. don't judge. just enjoy....it's easy....
there over 100 comments on that post so it will take me awhile to get through them all.
hope you made it through all those answers.
ok...i am going to make all the appointments i have been putting off forever since i am stuck at home. you know what i mean.... dentist, eye doctor, exterminator, ob/gyn, sewing machine guy, specialist and anything else i can think of. the part i hate more than making the appointment....GOING to the appointments!
i know these look like the same pictures of that sunflower patch i posted about in july....but they are different. i promise. i went back a week later with no kids, my cowboy boots and my camera.
i was so happy out there clickin' away on an overcast morning with no one asking me "how much longer mom?" "can we go now?" "are you almost finished?" i just clicked and clicked and clicked until i decided i was done. that is an awesome feeling.
this time they were ALL open and smiling at the sun.
spider playing hide-and-seek at the bottom...
i love the water droplets and pollen all over the leaves. :)
this one just needed another hour probably and all its petals would be open.
that was the whole patch. not a field but just enough and all about 5 feet tall.
and this one is my most favorite. i love it.
i think i should just become a flower farmer. i could just grow fields of flowers and take pictures all day long. zinnias, black eyed susans, coneflowers, daisies and of course sunflowers. wouldn't that be a completely dreamy job?